Sunday, May 19, 2013

A special kind of person

I've been told, a lot, that it takes "a special kind of person" to be a nanny. When I ask why they usually respond with something along the lines of "because I couldn't do that!". But, I don't really see how that makes me "special". I prefer to say that it takes a certain kind of person to do it. The kind of person who loves children. The kind of person who doesn't mind poopy diapers, feeding fiascoes and epic meltdowns. The kind of person who enjoys art, teaching, kissing boo-boos, building blocks & tents, playing dolls, playing outside, the list is endless when it comes to kids & their imaginations.

Yes, I am one of these people. That, in & of itself does not make me special. It just makes me a certain kind of person who does well at my job. On the other hand, I'm the type of person who can't stand (I would say hate, but if Lily could read & read my blog she'd yell at me that "we don't say hate in this family".) history, math, science and most other "left brain" subjects. I could not handle a chemistry job, like Steve has. I feel my eyes glaze over and my brain start to melt when he talks about work (bless his heart, he still tells me about it though). I'd never have an engineer job, be an accountant or work in IT. Just because I can't do these things, does it mean the people who can are "special"? No, we just have different aptitudes.

I just happen to be able to work in a job that I love and that I'm good at. It's not a job that is cut out for everyone. It's hard. There are bad days, really bad days. There are days when all the kids cry at once and I daydream about what it would be like to work in the "real world" again. There are days when I'm out of ideas on how to entertain the kids. There are days when I'm at my wits end and want to cry. But there are a lot of normal days. And even some great days. Just like any other job I've had. And I would assume, just like any other job you've had.

Truly, when I think about the idea that it takes "a special kind of person" to do something. The only thing I can really think of is the men & women who put their lives on the line for us. Whether it be military, police or fire. And I certainly know that I don't deserve to be in that category.

No comments:

Post a Comment