Monday, April 1, 2013

Adelyn's Winter ONEderland!

I can't believe my baby girl turned 1. I thought Lily's first year went by fast, but this was even faster. Her first birthday party was amazing. It was winter ONEderland themed. Even though Spring was quickly approaching and it was a beautiful day outside, inside our house was decked to the max with snowflakes & penguins & balloons, oh my! The penguin beach balls are from Oriental Trading were used as both decorations and as favors for the kids.



We had a hot chocolate bar with homemade hot chocolate (thank you Pinterest & Mrs. Happy Homemaker for the recipe!), marshmallows, peppermint candy canes & whip cream. My second batch of stuffed pepper soup turned out delicious. And the piece de resistance? The most marvelous cake I've ever seen thanks to Nikki of Creative Confections with accompanying hot cocoa cupcakes with peppermint marshmallow frosting. The igloo on the top of the cake even lit up!





Adelyn looked gorgeous in her birthday princess outfit comprised of a tutu from Trish's Little Feet Boutique, a bow from Angelia's Boutique and leggings from My Little Legs.



The party itself was wonderful. We crammed more people in this house than it's supposed to have but no one seemed to mind. It's always so humbling to me to see how many people show up for these things. We had friends & family travel from near & far to spend this special day with us. I even had a friend take off work and I barely got to talk to her! It just means so much to me to have so many people love us, and love our daughter(s) that they would take the time out to celebrate.



As for an update on Adelyn. She is progressing well. She loves her OT & teacher. We've even started private OT with her Godmother & OTA extraordinaire. PT is another story. It inevitably begins & ends with tears. We keep pushing though and it's showing with all the progress she's making. It's like she just wants to stick her middle finger up in the air at anyone who says she can't do something. She is crawling on all 4s now. She's pulling up to stand on EVERYTHING. I don't remember Lily being a climber but Adelyn definitely will be. We're still a long ways off from walking and it's suspected that she's going to need foot/ankle braces because she stands on the insides of her feet. She'll be evaluated for that in the coming months. Hopefully if she gets those, it will expedite the walking phase.

She's still not talking but we're getting a lot more consonant sounds & babbling out of her. She's even began blowing raspberries so we know her mouth muscles are getting stronger. But, I would be lying if I said it doesn't hurt me that she doesn't call me mama. There's nothing I want more than to hear those words (with meaning) come out of her mouth. In the mean time, we're working on signing. She can sign fish, more, all done & milk when she wants to. Unfortunately, her sign for fish and all done are the same hand movement as when she's waving. As long as you take it in context it's not too hard to figure out.

Our OT wants her to be off all baby food in the next month. I've politely refused that. It's not that I'm not willing to work on it but she doesn't eat much in the way of regular food. She gets tired quickly when doing it because of the lack of muscles so she won't eat a lot in a sitting. It's not that I'm opposed to the idea. I am soooo sick of making baby food and would love to have her on all table food. But, she's already so tiny, the last thing I need is to have her fall off her growth curve because she doesn't eat enough to sustain her. Also, if she's not eating enough, I fear she won't be strong enough to work on all the things she needs to do. So, it's something that I plan to work on slowly. She already eats table food, it's just introducing it more & more as time goes on. I just don't think that 1 month is a reasonable time frame.

All and all, it's been an amazing year. She's grown physically and developmentally and that's all I can ask for. I can't wait to see what the next year brings for us!


No comments:

Post a Comment