Wednesday, April 24, 2013

26 And Holding

Growing up, I always looked forward to my birthday. I would randomly announce how many days until my birthday throughout the year. Usually starting on April 23rd, the day after my birthday. I always loved that it was a day all about me....and the presents weren't a bad addition either. This wasn't just as a kid, even as I got older I loved my birthday. In my mind it lasted a week, sometimes more. When I started going to the bars, it lasted the whole month. But, that was usually just to get free drinks. Every time we went out in the month of April I would tell guys it was my birthday. Not that I needed a ploy to get free drinks but it made helped.

Turning 25 was hard on me though. Probably because on my 25th birthday a friend said, "What's the worst thing about the day after you turn 25?" And then promptly answered himself, "you are officially closer to 30 than you are to 20". That stung. 30 seemed so old, even then. But, 25 was a good year. Then my 26th birthday rolled around and it was a great year. I decided then, that I wasn't getting any older. That I was going to hang on to my youth and forever be 26. It started off more as a joke. But, then it became a habit and lie I was going to carry on. So easy in fact, that I would have to stop myself from saying 26 when asked in a serious situation how old I was (like at doctors appointments). I would actually have to do the math. How old am I now.....2000 something minus 1980 something equals.....

With that came a lack of interest in my birthday. I still wanted to do something to "celebrate" but the day itself became just like every other day.

So, when this birthday rolled around, I really could've cared less. I didn't write it on the calender. I totally forgot about it the night before. I just expected it to be another day. Play with kids; clean; cook dinner; the usual. And it pretty much started out that way. I did have an appointment to get Adelyn's hearing checked. I wasn't worried about her hearing but at the same time, I was dreading the test. I couldn't imagine hearing something else was wrong with my baby girl. The good news is that her hearing is fine. She passed with flying colors but is asked to take the test again in 6 months if she's still not talking or talking much. That was the best present I could've asked for. Then, I got a package delivered to my front door. Steve bought me The Hunger Games movie and a Mother's Devotional Bible. Have I mentioned I love presents?! And these were good ones! Connor got picked up early so I was able to go with Lily to dance class (something I've not been able to do with my new job/schedule). Then my parents came over to visit for awhile. Then I had a few drinks with one of my best friends and the hubby and fell asleep snuggled up with him.

I am happy to say that it was a great 26th birthday and I look forward to many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment