Friday, November 9, 2012

Thanksgiving Is Coming!!! Thanksgiving Is Coming!!!

Ahhhh. Thanksgiving. My favorite holiday. I love Thanksgiving even more than I love my birthday. And if you know me, you know I re-he-he-he-allly (said in my best Dr. Cox impression) love my birthday. Well, I did until I hit 26 and stopped having birthdays. But I digress.

There are oh so many reasons why Thanksgiving is the best holiday that ever was starting with the food. I am fortunate enough to go to 2 houses each Thanksgiving. At first I thought this was a detriment to my holiday. I love my families cooking (more on that later), how could I possibly eat at someone else's house and use up precious stomach space on some else's cooking. Cooking, that by most standards I'm sure is great, but by my standards can only be considered sub-par. Then I had my first Thanksgiving with the G. Family. They have honey baked ham. I love honey baked ham. I've heard that this is a newer addition to the menu, as I asked Steve prior to my first time there if they were going to have it. He then asked his mom, who usually didn't have it but decided to on my account. And so the tradition was started. In addition to the ham, Steve's mom makes the.best.cheesy.potatoes. As the old saying goes, cheesy potatoes are like sex, even when they're bad, they're good. But Steve's mom has cornered the market on cheesy potatoes. I don't know what she does differently. But they are delicious and a staple at the G family house for Thanksgiving. I also have little tastes of everything else and it definitely is not the sub-par food I initially described. Then we go to my house and the pure gluttony begins. I usually change my pants in preparation for the food I'm about to consume. I did this before Joey Tribbiani made it cool on Friends. There are more small amounts of turkey & mashed potatoes and any other sides that may be offered that year. But my plate is generally toppling over with mounds of stuffing. You've never had stuffing until you've had the stuffing that my family makes. It's like a little slice of carb heaven. Next to the stuffing is a smaller but almost equally delicious green bean casserole. Green beans are veggies! This can't be bad for you! It certainly offsets the stuffing I eat.

The other *big* reason why I love Thanksgiving is because it's about family. It's the only holiday that my family gets together without the premise that gifts will be given (unless you count stuffing as a gift, then I'm putting that on my Christmas & birthday list this year!). Whether it's time with my in laws or time with my side of the family. It's still time well spent. Sitting around a table, eating good food, telling funny stories, eating & laughing until it hurts. Some of my most cherished childhood memories were Thanksgivings at my Grandma Pat's house. There were tables set up everywhere. Kids running a muck. Adults socializing as only that side of the family knew how.

Christmas was similar, ranking only slightly lower than Thanksgiving in my minds eye. Christmas obviously has heavy religious value. As a Christian, I recognize the true meaning of the holiday and it weighs heavily on me. I love Christmas for the food & the family & even the gift giving. But the gift giving causes so much stress both financially & mentally. Thanksgiving is just about food, family & giving thanks. It's not really marketable. Which is why things have changed so much in recent years. Thanksgiving has become overlooked & under-appreciated by so many. Now we have Christmas music being played on the radio & decorations being sold in the stores before Halloween stuff is even put away. It makes me sad that my favorite holiday is dismissed so quickly. So that's why I wrote this today. To tell Christmas to hold it's darn horses and let us enjoy the month of November and the most happ-happiest holiday of all!


***Disclaimer: This picture was shared on FB. I own no rights to it, if copyright has been infringed I will take it down immediately or give the proper credit.***

No comments:

Post a Comment